Home For The Holidays Recap - '22
Must Have Products
- Crate (Potty Training)
- Easy Walk Front clip harness
- Flat Belt / Martingale Collar
- Flat Leash
- High Value Treats
- Mental Stimulation Toys / Marrow Bones
Meeting Your Dog's Needs
Potty Training (highlights)
- Offer trips outside every 30 minutes (sooner if necessary)
- Pick a phrase and stick with it! We use "Peepees outside".
- Set stage to catch and reward (with lots of treats!) IMMEDIATELY after eliminating outside, use your phrase when rewarding.
- When being left alone, utilize a crate just big enough for the dog to discourage eliminating in the crate.
- Make crate a safe space, cover in blanket.
- Utilize a sound machine / white noise.
- EVERY TIME dog is put into crate they should be given long lasting high value mental stimulation.
- Do not use crate for punishment.
- Use crate for "chill time", not just when you leave.
- As soon as they get out of the crate take them outside, use the phrase when you're outside.
- To limit distractions, don't walk around outside. Stay in one spot until they eliminate outside.
- Do not punish for accidents in the house. Bring outside and encourage to eliminate outside.
- No WeeWee Pads! They're confusing and give dog's mixed signals.
- Your puppy is new at this!
- Your puppy's bladder muscles are still developing.
- Just because they can hold it in the crate doesn't mean they can / will hold it outside of the crate.