Every dog owner knows the joy of watching their pup sniff and explore their surroundings. Dogs have an incredible sense of smell, and tapping into this natural instinct can be both entertaining and mentally stimulating for them. Enter this DIY Snuffle Pit – a fantastic homemade enrichment activity that will keep your dog engaged and stimulated. In this guide, we'll show you how to create your very own Snuffle Pit using just playpen balls and a large container, designed to easily stow-away under the bed when not in use!
Here's What You'll Need:
- A Large Container: Choose a container that is large enough to comfortably accommodate your dog's size and enthusiasm. We use this under-the-bed storage container as it makes for easy stowaway when not in use! If you're in a pinch, a kiddie pool, similar plastic storage bin, or a shallow inflatable pool will work just fine.
- Playpen Balls: Purchase a bulk quantity of colorful playpen balls, often found in children's toy sections or online. We recommend this pack pf 100 from Amazon!
- Dog Treats or Kibble: To hide within the playpen balls and make the snuffling experience rewarding for your dog. The smellier the treat, the better!
"Why should I incorporate a snuffle pit into my dog's enrichment protocol?"
- Mental Stimulation: Snuffle Pits engage your dog's brain by challenging them to use their incredible sense of smell, and problem solve to locate all the bits of food or treats.
- Boredom Buster: It's a fantastic way to keep your dog entertained, especially during rainy days or when they can't go outside.
- Slow Feeding: For dogs prone to gobbling their food, the Snuffle Pit encourages them to eat more slowly and mindfully.
- Bonding Time: Playing together in the Snuffle Pit strengthens the bond between you and your dog.
- Reduces Anxiety: The act of "snuffling" is soothing and can help anxious dogs relax by hijacking their brain's reward system.